I love the holidays.
But, I realize not everyone feels the same way.
Here are a few tips to get you through the Holiday Hustle if your Christmasing feels like an effort.
If you are feeling overwhelmed…
- Take a nice deep breath. Wherever you are stop and breathe. This action will automatically create space between you and what is happening—enough space so that you can feel the edges of you.
- Imagine that you have a bubble around you. This bubble is your own personal space. Nothing gets in this space unless you invite it in.
- Now ask yourself how do you want your energy space to feel? Do you want peace, harmony, clarity, love? Whatever it is imagine that emotion filling up space in your energy bubble.
- Next, allow your energy bubble to grow as big as feels comfortable to you. 3 feet around your body, 6 feet, 12 feet, as big as a house? Notice what feels natural.
- Claim this space. This is your right.
If you are feeling sadness…
- Take a breath and know that it is okay to feel sad. It is okay not to be cheerful or exuberant during the holidays.
- Gently turn to the part of you that is sad. Allow yourself to feel it, see it, know it.
- Offer the part of you that is sad love. Lots of love, tenderness, and self-compassion.
- If your sadness comes in waves, each time you feel it allow yourself to fully experience it and then offer it love. No need to change it or fix it. Just offer it love.
- If your sadness is continuous and non-stop, seek help. Find someone to talk to—a friend, a clergy member, a therapist, or a coach. Please do not suffer through this alone.
If you are feeling pressure…
- Take a nice deep breath.
- Close your eyes.
- Notice where you feel the pressure in your body–head, chest, stomach, somewhere else?
- Notice if the pressure feels like it is coming from the inside or the outside of you.
- Is it internal pressure? Begin to question your thoughts around the pressure. Do you really need to do x,y, and z? Do you want to do them? Why are you placing this pressure on yourself?
- Is it external pressure? It is time to look at your boundaries. What do you want to do this holiday? Who do you want to spend your precious time with this season? This is your life make sure you are living it just the way you want.
If you are feeling time shortage…
- Take a deep breath
- Put aside you to do list and put away your calendar.
- Allow this one moment to expand in your awareness.
- Notice the depth of this one moment.
- Notice the notice the expansion of this one moment.
- Know that each moment has the potential to feel this way.
- The next time you are harried from the responsibility of all the things you want to get done, remember that each moment is fuller and more fluid than you are allowing.
The most important thing to remember is that this is your life. Each individual minute matters. Give yourself permission to experience your holiday just the way you want it!